The third installment of our Netflix Watch Parties is almost here! Candyman is an oldie but goodie horror movie that we know will be so much fun for all! As a reminder, our Netflix Watch Parties serve as fundraisers to benefit the Henrico Educational Foundation (henricogives.org). The Henrico Education Foundation (HEF) is a non-profit foundation that provides grants and resources to Henrico County Public School students and teachers to fill the gap between taxpayer funding and what is required to produce innovation and achievement in our schools and communities. This Foundation is specifically targeting aid to families affected by Covid-19 (Coronavirus).
THE MAIN COURSE
To raise funds and to have a little fun in the process we are hosting a Netflix Watch Party. So far we have watched the classic School Daze, a Netflix Original “Uncorked” and now we are so excited to watch the scary thriller “Candyman”.
The Candyman, a murderous soul with a hook for a hand, is accidentally summoned to reality by a skeptic grad student researching the monster’s myth. The only real question left to ask is: are you watching with the lights on or nah??
DINNER AND A COCKTAIL
Similar to last week we have a wonderful suggestion for food and an adult beverage to accompany the movie. Why not make this oh so sweet and tasty HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLL dessert and top it off with a glass of refreshing HONEY MINT WHISKEY MOJITO! Both recipes are below.
We can’t wait to watch the movie on SATURDAY and hope you will join in. If you haven’t paid for your ticket, you can still donate by following these instructions:
1. Participants donate $5/per watch party they want to attend using CashApp ($blackmenread) or Paypal (paypal.me/blackmenread).
2. Please put your email and the movie you want to attend in the note.
3. Prior to the party we will send you the URL to join the party!!
Note: Participants must have access to a Netflix account. The Netflix Party app works through the Google Chrome browser on a desktop or laptop only.
HOMEMADE CINNAMON ROLLS
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups whole milk, warm to the touch
½ cup granulated sugar
2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
5 cups flour, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
¾ cup butter, softened
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together warm milk, melted butter, and granulated sugar. The mixture should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F (37-43˚C). If it is hotter, allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let set for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups (500g) of all-purpose flour to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size.
- Remove the towel and add an additional ¾ cup (95g) of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about ½-inch (1 cm) thick. Fix corners to make sure they are sharp and even.
- Spread the softened butter evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Press the mixture into the butter.
- Roll up the dough, forming a log, and pinch the seam closed. Place seam-side down. Trim off any unevenness on either end.
- Generously butter two disposable foil pie/cake pans.
- Cut the log in half, then divide each half into 7 evenly sized pieces. About 1½ inches (8cm) thick each. (Our edit: cut them into 4 on each side for larger rolls.)
- Place 7 cinnamon rolls in each cake pan, one in the center, six around the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- To prepare the frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, butter, whole milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar, until smooth.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bake the cinnamon rolls in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting.
HONEY MINT WHISKEY MOJITO
- 10 leaves fresh mint
- 1.0 tbsp of honey (don’t have a sweet tooth? eliminate the honey)
- 2.0 tbsp sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 4.0 oz honey whiskey
- 4.0 oz ginger ale
Shake ingredients with ice (be sure to old the top of the shaker firmly) and strain into chilled glass. Garnish with fresh mint and a lime slice.